Building Relationships, Getting Results
Exercising Influence™ from US-based training company Barnes & Conti is a leading influence training program worldwide. The program develops the influence tactics and behaviours to achieve positive results with colleagues, customers, suppliers and others regardless of the person’s positional power.
Participants learn to win support and buy-in from others without being manipulative or overbearing, whether gaining approval, requesting resources, seeking alignment or encouraging participation in initiatives.
The program uses a fitness metaphor to recognize how individual ‘influence-muscles’ affect performance. Through an on-line assessment, participants identify their strengths and areas for development in specific influence behaviours. Then, targeted practice and role-play exercises based on their real-life work situations develop strength in the weaker influence-muscles. The result is greater focus and flexibility, and peak performance as an influencer.
OVERVIEW OF TOPICS
- Definitions and key concepts – influence v. manipulation
- Tactics and behaviours that build relationships and get results
- Influence framework – a planning tool for influence opportunities
- Influence objectives & approach – applied to real world situations
- Planning and practice for an important influence opportunity.
- Managers, project leaders and individual contributors where influencing others effectively is key to success in their roles.